Welcome to the best way to heat with wood!
More convenience, safety and savings than any other method of wood heat
SAVES MONEY – Wood is one of the most inexpensive fuel sources available. It is usually sourced locally and is often free. The ability to heat multiple buildings and water with wood can virtually eliminate your heating bills. Conventional heat sources like fuel oil, propane and natural gas will always be susceptible to price fluctuations and are irreplaceable fossil fuels.
PEACE OF MIND – Outside burning removes the threat of devastating chimney fires, dangerous carbon monoxide or oxygen depletion. It also eliminates the smoke, ashes, odors and soot buildup on walls and ceilings inside your home that indoor burning creates.
FREEDOM TO DO MORE – Those that choose to heat with wood often do so because of cost savings. With a Central Boiler outdoor wood furnace, it can take less wood to heat more space, so no matter what your costs and time associated with acquiring your wood supply, using less wood means you’ll have more time (plus save more money!) to do other things.
Independent Power is Maine’s oldest Central Boiler dealer serving customers all across the state. Contact us to learn more.
- So Advanced, It's Simple - If you ever thought an outdoor furnace was complicated and a lot of work, it's time to look at the Classic Edge. Central Boiler has engineered the Classic Edge to be easy to operate and maintain. Packed full of features that no other furnace offers, the Classic Edge is also the best value on the market.
- Less Time to Fill - Constructed of titanium-enhanced stainless steel, the firebox has superior corrosion resistance and excellent heat transfer performance. This allows loading the firebox for longer burn times and burning some wood that is less than perfectly seasoned (actual burn times may vary based on wood types, moisture content, heat load and ambient temperature). Central Boiler recommends burning seasoned wood when possible because dry wood burns better and provides more energy for heating your home. You'll burn less wood, saving more money and time. That is, after all, what you want your outdoor furnace to do.
- Designed to Perform - The patented air charge tube takes the power of a raging fire and focuses it to obtain high efficiency and low emissions, helping the furnace to relight faster. Ultimately, this increased efficiency puts more heat into your home.
- Burn Less Wood - A hallmark of Central Boiler furnaces for over 30 years, spray-on urethane is the ultimate airtight, waterproof insulation that prevents condensation and locks the heat in to reduce wood usage, even at temperatures of -35°F or colder.
- Easy Operation - The FireStar combustion controller monitors all functions of the furnace and optimizes the gasification process automatically. The FireStar optimizes furnace performance by using sensors to decide how to control and independently adjust the primary and/or secondary air for a cleaner and more efficient burn. It can even shut the fan off to preserve heat if it runs out of wood. The FireStar features integrated wi-fi so you can monitor your furnace from anywhere with no additional hardware except a router and internet access.
- Easy Maintenance - The patent-pending vertical Easy View Heat Exchanger is an industry exclusive. Featuring a removable rear panel that provides full access without the use of tools, it's easy to access for quick inspections and even easier to maintain if cleaning is necessary. As heat passes through the heat exchanger it is transferred into the water. Small particles in the exhaust can drop to the bottom and are easy to clean out of the Reaction Chamber. In essence, a lot of the maintenance is done for you by gravity.
- Easy Installation - Many owners choose to install their own furnace because the installation can be easily completed using the installation manual. Every Classic Edge model is designed with a skid base framework to make installation easy with or without a cement foundation. Connect the piping and heat exchangers to your existing system and the Classic Edge is ready to go to work.
Stay connected to the furnace that saves you money on your heating bill from almost anywhere in the world. Adding the optional FireStar XP wi-fi module keeps you in constant contact with your Central Boiler furnace. Not only will you get up-to-the-minute information, but you can also see how your furnace has been operating over a period of time. With a little experience you’ll learn how factors like heat load, weather conditions, wood quality and proper maintenance can affect its operation. That can help you optimize the operation of your furnace.
- View water and Reaction Chamber™ temperatures, burn time and furnace mode in real-time with the easy to read interface on your iPhone or other web-enabled device.
- View performance and operational data charts and graphs over a given period of time.
- Choose to have text or emails sent to most any web-enabled device.
- Compatible with any Classic Edge or E-Classic outdoor furnace.
HOW IT WORKS
Central Boiler outdoor furnaces are located outside, typically 30 to 50 feet (but as far as 500 feet) away from your home or business, and works with any existing heating system. A water jacket surrounds the furnace firebox and heat exchanger. Heated water is circulated to the home or building through insulated underground pipes. Water-to-air or water-to-water heat exchangers or direct circulation conveys the heat into the structure’s forced-air furnace, boiler or radiant floor heating system. This allows for normal thermostatic control for safe, even, clean and comfortable heat.
Some models have multiple tappings so that you can not only hook up your home or business but you can also run a line from the wood boiler to other areas you’d like to heat such as the garage, workshop, a greenhouse or swimming pool.
Your installation begins with ThermoPEX insulated piping. ThermoPEX consists of two 1-inch oxygen barrier Central PEX pipes (supply and return) that are insulated with high-density urethane insulation and thick, durable, waterproof, UV-protected polyethylene outer jacket. ThermoPEX only needs a narrow trench for installation.
ThermoPEX saves energy and maximizes efficiency. Heat loss is virtually unmeasurable, less than 1 degree F over 100 feet. Greater system efficiency maximizes the delivery of heat from each pound of wood.
PARTS & ACCESSORIES
There is no need to run around looking for parts to hook up your system. We carry a complete selection of parts and accessories to simplify the installation and maintenance of your system.
If you already own a Central Boiler outdoor wood furnace, we have all the parts you need to add on to your system. We have ThermoPEX underground piping so you can add a line to another building, Central Pex tubing for inside the house, space heaters for the garage or basement, heat exchangers and plenty of fittings.
DIY Project – The installation is easier than you might think and can be completed in about a day using the installation manual. We provide a customized hookup kit for the do-it-yourselfer that includes all of the materials you need to get from the outdoor wood boiler into your home. And to make it even easier, we’ll give you lots of expert technical advice along the way.
Hire a Contractor – You’re welcome to use your own contractor to do the installation. Or we can refer an installer we know. We’ll make it quick and easy for your installer by providing you with a customized hook up kit that saves him time on the installation and saves you money. We’re always available to answer any technical questions your installer may have.
The Maine Department of Environmental Protection adopted rules in 2007 related to outdoor wood boilers. Chapter 150 establishes requirements for emission standards, siting criteria and labeling for all outdoor wood boilers.
OPERATION & MAINTENANCE
Routine maintenance is essential to the proper operation and longevity of your Central Boiler outdoor wood furnace. We stock plenty of maintenance items like door seal kits, blower fans, solenoids, rust inhibitor, ashtrol and water test kits. And we give plenty of free advice on how to care for your boiler.
Check out these informational videos. See how easy it is to properly operate a Central Boiler outdoor wood furnace.
Every situation is unique. Before we can quote a system we need to choose the proper size for your application. We’ll even help you figure out the amount of wood you should put up for the season. Here are a few things we need to consider:
- What do you want to heat? How well insulated is it? How much fuel is used to heat it now?
- What else do you want to heat with the boiler, now or in the future?
- What type of heating system will you be connecting to?
Once we’ve got the proper size nailed down, we’ll quote a system that’s right for you. Your system price will include the right boiler with a parts list customized for your specific application, plus tax and freight included... in writing. No guesswork on what your bottom line will be.
Our Central Boiler outdoor furnaces are reasonably priced and in most cases provide a quick payback. Call us, our prices are very competitive and our technical support is unmatched. Doing it right saves money, gives you a quick payback and eliminates hassles.